Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Fun, Fun, Fun

Hello!

I am so excited to tell you about my wonderful weekend at the trade show in Houston, TX.  Over the course of 2 days, I took 10 classes, 1 workshop, went to a Product Lightning Round and a sample making frenzy.  I was so tired when I got back, it took me 2 days to recover - lol.  Seriously though, I have so many ideas swimming around in my head for classes that I want to teach and projects that I want to share.  I'm just going to have to write them all down and tackle one at a time, so be watching because I'll be sharing them here as I get them done. 

At the trade show, I wasn't able to take a Tim Holtz class afterall.  I was so disappointed.  I had made a notebook and even a purse using tons of his products and was so wanting to have the opportunity to show them to him, but it all worked out in the end - keep reading - hehe.  At the end of the first day, I was finishing a workshop, and in true Paula fashion, I was one of the very last ones finishing up.  Well, the next thing I know, someone next to me said "There's Tim".  The owner of the Collins Group was also named Tim, so I just thought that's who they were talking about.  Next thing I know - I turn and see Tim Holtz.  He had a class the next morning in that room, so he was there to set up.  The sweet lady next to me had commented on liking my notebook and purse and I had told her my saga.  So - when we saw Tim, she said "Now's your chance", but I was frozen.  I told her "What do I do?  I can't just go up there and say - hey look what I made" - rofl!!  So she yelled for him to come over and told him that he had to look at my things I had made.  I was so excited and embarrased all at the same time.  He was soo nice and took several minutes looking at everything and talking with me.  He even ended up signing my notebook AND my purse!!  I'll have to post a photo of the purse later so you can see.  Anyway, it's funny how things work out.  Even though I would have loved to be in one of his classes, I was so thankful for that chance meeting.



One of the other classes that I was able to take was a BoBunny word book class.  I haven't finished it yet, but I'll post it when it's complete.  It was so interesting.  They told us all sorts of fun facts like where Bo Bunny got it's name.  Matthew's Mom is the one who started the company, and at the time, she was into making stuffed bunnies and one of the ones she made was named "Bo" -so when she took some papers to stores to see if they would carry them, they asked her about the name of her company, and so she just said "Bo Bunny".  One of the paper lines was even named after Matthew's daughter.  Again, I was one of the last to leave, and Sharon and Cherie had come in to help me pack up, when we got this photo op.



Hopefully I'm getting my energy back now because I have so much I want to do.  Today I completed the "actual" class sample for the October Flower class.  Since the flower classes will be monthly, I wanted to have a fun name for the group, so I'm calling it the "Crazy Daisies".  In this class we will learn to make the Mums and Leaf shown on the sample.  We will be using a paper from the new Indian Summer collection by Basic Grey.  If you are interested in taking the class, be sure to call Cherie at the shop very soon to sign up.  The Saturday class is already almost 1/2 full and we just opened it up for registrations today.  Here is the info and the photo of the sample.  **Be sure to check out the supply list if you are coming to the class.  You will need to bring some things that are different from the normal supplies.**





Crazy Daisies - Mum Canvas Class   $25
Saturday, October 17th    10:15 AM to 1:15 PM
Tuesday, October 20th     6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
This class will be packed with techniques and fun flower making.  We will distress an 8 x 10 canvas, which is provided, grunge a photo, learn basics of flower making and much more.  You will also be able to pre-order the punches that we will be using in the class when you sign up at a 20% discount.  The discount is for pre-orders only.  There are 4 punches that we will be using; 1 giant, 2 large, and 1 small.  The retail price for all 4 is $42.70, but with the pre-order discount, it is only $34.16.  Pre-orders MUST be in by this Saturday so that we can have them in time for the classes.  If you choose not to pre-order, you can still order the punches from Cherie at any time, but it will be at retail price.  I will have a set of the punches available at the class to share with anyone who does not have the punches.
Supplies you need to bring with you:
A mousepad
Dry embossing tools (the ones used with metal embossing templates)
Tweezers
Liquid Glue (such as Tombo Multi liquid glue or the Scotch liquid glue - Cherie carries both)
Mini dimensional dots (aka - pop dots)
Tape runner or favorite adhesive for photos
12" paper trimmer
Sanding tool
Chestnut Roan Chalk Catseye inkpad (if you have one)
1 vertical 4" x 6" photo or 2 horizontal wallet photos
** Be sure to bring photo(s) that you don't mind grunging up and I would advise wearing clothing that you don't mind getting dirty.  :)  You might also want to bring a snack.  This class will take the full 3 hours. **    

I hope to get to see you at one of the classes!!
~til next time,
Paula     

No comments: